Those militants were able to infiltrate a heavily guarded Air Force Base, which is a matter of grave shame for the Indian Security & Defence authorities. However, there is much more to the picture.
Lets peek into the Air base territory.
- The Pathankot Air Base has a perimeter boundary of 24.7 Kms. A huge boundary to take care of.
- This base even houses a Kendriya Vidyalaya, one of the biggest ones in entire Punjab.
- Around 500 daily labourers are always present inside the Air base for jobs under construction, repair and sanitation domain etc..
- There are around 30 shops for daily necessities of the people residing in the Base area.
- Around 500 personnel from foreign nations are taking training under various air Force domains here.
- Almost 3000 families reside inside the airbase area which account for about 10k people.
- The Pathankot Air Base houses a large no. of Helicopters and Mig-21s and numerous other sensitive defence equipments and assets.