I’m listing out some initiatives of the Modi Govt. towards NE states. Let’s check them out and then decide.
- Under Special Accelerated Road Development Programme for the North-East), Rs 35,000 crore is proposed to be invested to develop the Trans-Arunachal Highway and for connecting all district headquarters by a two lane highway (about 6,400 km).
- For the development of this area and for the development of tourism, Rs 28,000 crore will be provided for a new railway-line project and 14 new railway lines.
- Central Govt. has sanctioned Rs 5000 crore to provide 2G mobile coverage in this area for comprehensive telecom development plan of the northeast region.
- Approval of “the Comprehensive Scheme for Strengthening of Transmission & Distribution (T&D) Systems (CSST&DS)” in Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim at an estimated cost of Rs.4,754.42 Cr. Prior to this, only 5 of the 20 districts or Arunachal Pradesh had transmission network. This project will expand to cover all of Arunachal.
- Approval of “North Eastern Region Power System Improvement Project (NERPSIP)” for strengthening of the Intra-State Transmission and Distribution System at an estimated cost of Rs.5,111.33 Cr. The project is planned to be completed in 48 months. This is in-line with the poll promise of 365 days of power in the region.
- To boost organic farming in the region, announced setting up of in the region, with the aim of making the region “the capital of organic farming”.
- A minister from the Central government has been regularly visiting the region. In fact, in early January, it was that at least one Union minister will visit the region (including Sikkim) every fortnight Chemical Minister Ananth Kumar has been given the responsibility to coordinate and to ensure the regular visit of ministers.
- Approval for the setting up of Food Processing Units in NE region at a cost of Rs 16,840 Cr. This project is to improve the shelf life of horticulture products from the region.
- Approval of construction of Airport hangars in the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport (LGBI), Guwahati. This is envisaged to meet the Airport’s increased demands of growing air traffic in the region.
- At the risk of angering his vote base, PM Modi had implicitly endorsed the UPA decision of redrawing the India-Bangladesh border. Though the final act needs to play out here, it is now his responsibility to take this to ratification.
- Central Govt. has announced setting up of an All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Assam.
- Central Govt. has announced setting up of an Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) in
- Central Govt. has announced setting up of a Center for Film Production, Animation and Gaming in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Central Govt. launched Make in North East programme to boost employment and development in the region. .
Check out on Quora :